Waef Re-power and Lengthening

Our recent project involved extending the length of this aluminum vessel the WAEF by 5 additional feet, improving hold capacity and buoyancy on the water. To complement this change, we’ve also made a significant enhancement on the drive train by replacing the Arneson drive with a more suitable stern drive, focusing on improving control and overall performance. We take pride in delivering practical upgrades that make a meaningful impact on the capabilities and seaworthiness of every boat that comes into our yard.

Doxa Bow Conversion

Doxa Bow Conversion

Our team recently executed a specialized modification on the Doxa by shortening its bow by multiple feet. This involved a precise cutting process followed by meticulous re-glassing to seamlessly restore the structure. While maintaining its original integrity, this modification addresses specific needs without compromising the boat’s overall design. ⚓ #ShipyardCraftsmanship #FiberglassModification #BoatRepairs

Mystic Era – New Bulbous bow and Paint

Mystic Era – New Bulbous bow and Paint

Built in 1980 this Gooldrup built fish troller was brought into Commodore’s Boats for a complete new paint job and the addition of a bulbous bow with a hydraulic bow thruster. Owned by Parma Fishing Co. Ltd of Prince Rupert, this troller is the largest on the West Coast at 66 feet long. The hull has been built with reinforced plastic (fiberglass) and is certainly an eye catcher for those out fishing on the Pacific coastline.

Appropriately nicknamed “Big Red” by those in the fishing fraternity.

Mystic Era was completely transformed not only aesthetically with the new bold bright color red but also became a much more efficient vessel with the addition of the bulbous bow and 18″ hydraulic bow thruster.

Refit also included new paint on the decks just to finish things off.


Viking King – 71′ Retired Wooden Tug Boat

Viking King – 71′ Retired Wooden Tug Boat

1921 built Viking King 71′ – In 1921 she was owned by Frederik G. Thulin & Charles A. Thulin (JO), Lund BC. In 1926-1937 she was owned by Edmund Kinnie, Vancouver BC. In 1938-1946 she was owned by George H. Kinnie, Vancouver BC. In 1947 she was owned by Walter G. Heays (MO), Vancouver BC. In 1948-1957 she was owned by Stephen O’Neill (MO), Vancouver BC. In 1958-1970 she was owned by Mutual Towing Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1970-1973 she was owned by Viking Tugboat Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1973-present she was owned by Harken Towing Co. Ltd., Port Coquitlam BC.

Builder was Charles & Fred Thulin Originally named in 1921 Niluht which is Thulin spelled backwards.

Name changed in 1926 to Shepody, named for Shepody Bay.

Current name change was 1959 to Viking King.

In 2002 Viking king was brought to Commodore’s Boats for a full refit and restoration. Her most recent appearance in 2018-19 is to recaulk the hull and replace any planks that have deteriorated from sitting in the fresh water river the past 15 years.


Invader I – 70′ ex-patrol vessel

patrol vessel

Invader (I) – 70′ ex-patrol vessel

Invader ran ground in summer 2017 and was brought to Commodore’s Boats. Partial sinking resulted and the vessel required substantial interior, engine and exterior wood work. Stabilizing bat wing was compromised and repaired. A new transom was built, planking and re-caulking of near the entire hull below water line.. expected return to the water is early 2018.

built in 1935 by Fenner & Hood Shipyards, Vancouver BC. A 70′ ex-patrol vessel converted to yacht. During the Second World War she was employed by the Examination Service at Vancouver BC. In 1935 she was owned by James Hoffar, Vancouver BC. In 1936-1940 she was owned by Henry F. Reifel, Vancouver BC. In 1940-1945 she was chartered by the Royal Canadian Navy and served as an Examination Vessel. In 1945-1951 she was owned by James Hoffar, Vancouver BC. In 1951 she was owned by Henry Reifel & George Reifel , Vancouver BC. In 1952-1961 she was owned by Fred B. Brown, Vancouver BC. In 1962-2001 she was owned by Halfmoon Bay Holdings Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 2003-2014 she was owned by Coastal Mortgage and Investment Corp., Lethbridge AB. In 2015-2017 she was owned by 1027628 B.C. Ltd., Kamloops BC. Current owner is Terry Garrison. Vessel was brought to Commodore’s Boats after running ground and beaching itself.

Charmer – Grenfell 55

1971 Grenfell Flushdeck Cruiser 55′

“Charmer” is a true Gentleman’s Yacht, designed by Thornton Grenfell and built by Grenfell Yachts Ltd.

Lapstrake  is a method of boat building where the edges of hull planks overlap, called a “land” or “landing.” In craft of any size shorter planks can be joined end to end into a longer strake or hull plank. Reportedly the Grenfell 55 is the longest lapstrake vessel built by Grenfell.

Charmer features: 3 staterooms and 2 heads stunning mahogany woodwork large bright salon new diesel heat large deck spaces for entertaining Scope of work includes repairing an impact damage port side. Broken ribs, replace planks, paint.

Renegade – 1974 Broward Yacht 60′

60' pleasure craft

1974 built Broward Yacht 60′ wood hull. Brought to Commodore’s Boats for a complete restoration and refit.

Work to be performed includes:

  • remove paint and rotten planks frame repairs and scuppers
  • new planking throughout
  • replace windows
  • new bow stem
  • frame and install new thrusters
  • install mast and pole and lights
  • interior work
  • systems work
  • paint

Spirit of the El – 1952 Chris craft 34′ Sedan Cruiser

Spirit of the El

1952 CHRIS-CRAFT 34′ SEDAN CRUISER brought to commodore’s from Kelowna, BC and owners the Eldorado Kelowna Hotel. Work order includes recaulk and fill below the waterline, repair hull, decks, cabin above waterline. Apply finish.

Was repowered with a Chris-Craft 327/230hp FWC V8 engine and new running gear.  Completely re-wired and all on board systems are fully operational. Has Bow Thruster for ease of mooring

The Tugboat Swell

The Tugboat Swell after restoration

The Tugboat Swell is one of Commodore’s Boats flagship restoration projects and one we are very proud of. The Tugboat Swell was a complete restoration and a project that lasted approximately 18 months.

The following work has been done to convert this 1912 built tug into a sports fishing passenger vessel:

– taken approximately 12 inches of hog out of keel
– installation of 6 double ensuite state rooms
– lengthening and widening of the stern with a new horn timber to compensate for the heavier top weight of the extra accommodations
– install new main power & two 40kw gensets for fishing
– bow stem replacement
– reframe & replank 2/3 of vessel
– new deck beams & deck
– new bulwarks & caprails
– all new sawn frames from deck down an average of 8 ft.
– new shelves

Read more